Sunday, May 28, 2017

Review: The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson


Hello readers,

two weeks ago I brought you the review of The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson which I absolutely loved and that ended on such a cliffhanger that I immediately had to start the second book.
For those of you who haven't read the Kiss of Deception yet and who are planning on doing so please do not read this review it might spoil the most fun of the first book. And trust me when I say "YOU. DON'T. WANT. THAT."
So if you haven't read the first one yet please stop reading on and just head over to my Review of The Kiss of Deception, which you might find here.

Now onto The Heart of Betrayal.

Lia and Rafe are now both prisoners of Venda. The Barbarian land that doesn't takes prisoners. So far Rafes plan worked. He plays the Emissary well, but how long will he be able to hide his true identity?  What will happen to Lia, will she finally summon her gift? Will she be able to play the Komizars game? Will she be able to hide her true feelings? Will she make it out of Venda together with Rafe? What is really behind all that? The history to the story?

All those questions get answered in book two and they are developing even more questions, that hopefully the last book will answer, because I am dying to know.
I am as you may have guessed still in love with this trilogy. I love the characters, seeing how they grow and what they had to overcome, all those backstories that add up to the whole makes me want to read on and on.

I must admit that this second book is less of a developing lovestory and more of political tactics than the first, which makes it feel kind of slow in the beginning but for me it was intriguing nonetheless.
The action it was building up to, where you could actually feel the tension building up from chapter to chapter was a nice way to end this second one although again, that real ending...
(I need the final book now!)

Anyhow I give this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars, with a slighter tendency to the 4 than the 5 because of the political heaviness which was a bit too much. A little bit more balance with the characters developement would have surely gotten this one to another 5 stars.

How did you enjoy The Heart of Betrayal? Let me know in the comments below.

I see you again next Sunday for another bookish post.

Take care,
📚 Nadja

No comments:

Post a Comment